Philosophy and Performance

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Philosophy and Performance
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 15:27:18 -0600
Modifications: this is a fun debate, and I'm glad that it is being
carried on in a gentlepersonly manner.

I race a TR4 with stock crank and rods. The engine is RPM limited by its
tractor-heritage crank and rods. I don't want to blow it up, so I limit
my revs to 6000, knowing that the crank torsional vibration will do it
in if I use higher revs. I have the most fun when I'm able to race
against other guys who have the same limitation.

Of course, the real world is not that simple. Some of my fellow
competitors have steel cranks and Carillo rods. This allows them to gear
their cars lower and use 7000. The computer programs I've looked at say
that the hp difference, all other things being equal, is between 15 and
20 hp. I see this on the dynomometer of the race track when they pull me
down the straights.

Of course, I'm going to buy a steel crank and Carillo rods next season
OR when my engine blows up, whichever comes first. I think in the long
run it will be less expensive.

Too bad I will miss the next two weeks of this fun exchange - I'm off to
Arizona to ride bicyle up and down the mountains to get in shape to beat
those other bozos with my superior body conditioning program...besides
there isn't any snow there...

uncle jack from snowy Iowa