Re: allowed modifications

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: allowed modifications
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox.ppp@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 23:12:11 -0800
It seems that cheating for more HP is pointless.
As a newbie, IMvHO racing is it's funnest when you JUST win or JUST lose
a race-long wheel to wheel tussle with someone you know.

So if, next event you have more HP and are able to go faster then you
will probably be racing against a different driver, perhaps for 10th
position instead of 12th position, whatever that's worth.

If you accept the premise that the struggle is the reward and since
generally in Vintage racing there are no other rewards such as prizes,
awards or fame, increasing performance is unlikely to increase your fun
level.

On the other hand one of the the least fun incidents is to ruin an
expensive weekend by blowing something up in first practise.
Therefore, cheating to increase reliability is a a good investment,
cheating to increase performance is pointless.
If you reeeally want to go faster, buy a reeally faster car.

It would be handy (for us newbies) to get a copy of SCCA gcr's for the
year appropriate to your "point of preparation".  It would be nice to
get a first hand flavour of what what was and what was not allowed.
Anyone know if reprints of these gcr's are available?

Since we are being philosophical, I believe I'll have another beer.