Re: Vintage Racer Wanted

To: XVQZ82A@prodigy.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Racer Wanted
From: PaceCars@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 00:43:27 -0500
You will probably be running with SVRA, and I don't know what their formula
rules are. Most likely, they will run FF's through 1972 (most groups do) but
you will want to check with them first. They probably require steel wheels.
The Lotus 51 is a great piece of history and not a bad car, but many other
FF's are faster, easier to work on, and much cheaper. A few to look at would
be Merlyn Mk.11-17, Titan Mk.6, Winkelman WDF-1 and 2, Elden Mk.10 and
Caldwell D9B. All nice cars and in the $6500-$12,000 range. If you must have
a Lotus 51, go for a 51C or one that has been brought up to C specs,
including a Hewland (not Renault) gearbox and adjustable suspension. Check
out Anatomy and Development of the Formula Ford Race Car by Steve Nickless
(available through Classic Motorbooks and other sources last time I looked).
Good luck!
Harold Pace