Re: Vintage Racer Wanted

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Racer Wanted
From: ROCKNEY@inetpop.is.ge.com (VAUGHN ROCKNEY)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 09:11:08 -0500
Robin,
  I'm about to find out!  In 1968 and 1969 I ran an MGA in the Florida
Region of SCCA.  Just last week, I decided to come out of retirement,
and bought a Lotus 51a.  The Lotus 51 seems to be universally
accepted on steel wheels, original specs for motor and suspension, a
fuel cell, and Dunlop tires.  I'm getting it ready for driver's school
this spring. There is a great two weekend Homestead/Sebring SVRA
meet coming up, but I won't be ready.  The car seems wonderfully simple.
I'm not sure yet how easy or hard it is to get parts for it. Let me know
if you have specific questions, and I'll try to answer them.

  By the way, on the subject of tow vehicles.. in 1968, I flat towed the
MGA race car with a 3 cylinder SAAB 96, and in the mid 70's flat towed
my Morris Minor mini-stock with a '59 MGA twincam (which I still have)..

  Lastly, does anyone on the list have a source for reliable and fast
cadmium platers.  And where do I buy Castrol R40 in the states.  I just
had 10 liters shipped from England.. 58 pounds sterling shipping costs..
ouch!
Vaughn Rockney