Re: [TR] TR3 coil question

To: Jason Sukey <jsukey@gmail.com> s=q20140121; t=1442706752; bh=rUxxzeorLXI84/f20y+znrLUc+A6tm7cnKZLfQiQiAE=; h=Received:Received:Content-Type:Subject:From:Mime-Version: Message-Id:Date:To; b=G6m2gSsqf2AH6ixpBAqYJ9fVPrSb7k9QAiSm+tgYLREzcGGCI58ilJYv7LMZTmSg1 ROhI4/Ubs1wePiDdRs57mW3pwuCJxDFZMd7w3N4shYljoyIONn27dVPuGaEaShzxtn VB8CNqhYl+subxOsKLyEvNBh/yuRme3SBFU1cXJUAsuZENzWPRfYcTC9UzlG1VtCiP klDmJ5vdI1ATnpQLWt76DlxXmbklfPqwB3zI7BRnhbTwyr9lqepMaQPjP6Kn4Tu5eQ Ii3cO7NxTmsYNHUCTd6vymZY2mleAre8pCQhS+kasybIeuTeEjncxd0Aa3e+b88EsG xtr4DpF7lq2bw==
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 coil question
From: Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 17:07:36 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-88BB55F8-28BB-4925-AD80-756963509334
        charset=us-ascii

1.5 ohm coils are typically used with a ballast resistor to make the overall=
 resistance about 3 ohms except when starting the engine.  A total resistanc=
e of less than 3 ohms may damage an electronic distributor switching unit un=
less it is specifically designed for low resistance coils. =20

I think that some racing applications, particularly 8 cylinder engines may u=
se a lower resistance ballast, or none at all.  But at low revs like 2500 on=
 a 4-cly, the peak current is too high for points and the usual electronic d=
istributor. =20

-Tony

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 19, 2015, at 2:45 PM, Jason Sukey <jsukey@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> I don't have all the specs on me at the moment, but from memory, the "hott=
er" red coil has a primary resistance of about 1.5 ohm, and the "colder" coi=
l had a primary resistance of 3 or 3.5 ohm.  My understanding is this is the=
 typical situation where the lesser coil can't develop enough voltage at hig=
h rpm when the charge time is the shortest, thus needing the increased volta=
ge of the lower resistance coil.
> Jason
>=20
>> On Sep 19, 2015 2:35 PM, "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net> wrote:
>> That is can interesting question of why one coil was failing at high RPM w=
hile the other didn't.
>>=20
>> Assuming both are in proper operating condition, then I would expect that=
 the one that can't sustain high RPM has a lot more inductance than the one t=
hat worked ok
>>=20
>> As a matter of fact, the "high voltage" coils probably get that extra oom=
ph by having higher inductance.  The price you pay for high inductance is th=
at it takes longer to "charge" the magnetic field of the coil.  So, there is=
 a steeper drop off of output voltage vs RPM.
>>=20
>> Do you have the specs on the two coils?  Btw the resistance of the second=
ary windings also has an influence.  So does the resistance of the primary w=
indings though I am assuming both are 3 ohm.
>>=20
>> -Tony
>>=20
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>=20
>> > On Sep 19, 2015, at 1:00 PM, triumphs-request@autox.team.net wrote:
>> >
>> > Message: 1
>> > Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:26:04 -0400
>> > From: Jason Sukey <jsukey@gmail.com>
>> > To: auprichard@uprichard.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
>> > Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 coil question

>> > Andrew,
>> >    Not TR3 related, but I've had to play around with coils on my modifi=
ed
>> > GT6 using the 123 distributor (USB tune model).  After a lot of fiddlin=
g, I
>> > found that with the recommended Bosch "blue" coil, it would "go flat" a=
>> > high rpms when I was accelerating hard.  (this is compared to points di=
zzy
>> > with a hot coil).
>> > I ended up with the Bosch "red" coil (made in Brazil model, I'm told th=
>> > made in Mexico version is of lesser quality).  This solved my problems a=
nd
>> > it once again is happy to pull strong up to 7,000 RPM's.
>> >
>> > My theory is that the lower voltage "Blue" coil is fine for stock
>> > applications, but isn't enough for higher performance use.
>> >
>> > Jason

--Apple-Mail-88BB55F8-28BB-4925-AD80-756963509334
        charset=utf-8

 ballast resistor to make the overall resistance about 3 ohms except when st=
arting the engine. &nbsp;A total resistance of less than 3 ohms may damage a=
n electronic distributor switching unit unless it is specifically designed f=
acing applications, particularly 8 cylinder engines may use a lower resistan=
ce ballast, or none at all. &nbsp;But at low revs like 2500 on a 4-cly, the p=
eak current is too high for points and the usual electronic distributor. &nb=
On Sep 19, 2015, at 2:45 PM, Jason Sukey &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jsukey@gmail.=
 memory, the "hotter" red coil has a primary resistance of about 1.5 ohm, an=
d the "colder" coil had a primary resistance of 3 or 3.5 ohm.&nbsp; My under=
standing is this is the typical situation where the lesser coil can't develo=
p enough voltage at high rpm when the charge time is the shortest, thus need=
ing the increased voltage of the lower resistance coil.<br>
Jason</p>
ref=3D"mailto:spamiam@comcast.net";>spamiam@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br typ=
e=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8=
ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">That is can interesting ques=
tion of why one coil was failing at high RPM while the other didn't.<br>
Assuming both are in proper operating condition, then I would expect that th=
e one that can't sustain high RPM has a lot more inductance than the one tha=
t worked ok<br>
As a matter of fact, the "high voltage" coils probably get that extra oomph b=
y having higher inductance.&nbsp; The price you pay for high inductance is t=
hat it takes longer to "charge" the magnetic field of the coil.&nbsp; So, th=
ere is a steeper drop off of output voltage vs RPM.<br>
Do you have the specs on the two coils?&nbsp; Btw the resistance of the seco=
ndary windings also has an influence.&nbsp; So does the resistance of the pr=
imary windings though I am assuming both are 3 ohm.<br>
-Tony<br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>
&gt; On Sep 19, 2015, at 1:00 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs-request@autox.t=
eam.net">triumphs-request@autox.team.net</a> wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Message: 1<br>
&gt; Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:26:04 -0400<br>
&gt; From: Jason Sukey &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jsukey@gmail.com";>jsukey@gmail.=
com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:auprichard@uprichard.net";>auprichard@uprichard.ne=
t</a>, <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a=
&gt; Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 coil question<br>
&gt; Message-ID:<br>
&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:CAMmo4o-UUO%2BVMFaKgUCjZiOEQHs1zfsV6=
fArUq9C%2BeKQ8s-Mzw@mail.gmail.com">CAMmo4o-UUO+VMFaKgUCjZiOEQHs1zfsV6fArUq9=
C+eKQ8s-Mzw@mail.gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Andrew,<br>
&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; Not TR3 related, but I've had to play around with coils on=
 my modified<br>
&gt; GT6 using the 123 distributor (USB tune model).&nbsp; After a lot of fi=
ddling, I<br>
&gt; found that with the recommended Bosch "blue" coil, it would "go flat" a=
t<br>
&gt; high rpms when I was accelerating hard.&nbsp; (this is compared to poin=
ts dizzy<br>
&gt; with a hot coil).<br>
&gt; I ended up with the Bosch "red" coil (made in Brazil model, I'm told th=
e<br>
&gt; made in Mexico version is of lesser quality).&nbsp; This solved my prob=
lems and<br>
&gt; it once again is happy to pull strong up to 7,000 RPM's.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My theory is that the lower voltage "Blue" coil is fine for stock<br>
&gt; applications, but isn't enough for higher performance use.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Jason<br>

--Apple-Mail-88BB55F8-28BB-4925-AD80-756963509334--

--===============0356584020471951787==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0356584020471951787==--