Re: [TR] Front apron woes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Front apron woes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:54:49 -0800
> 1) Buy new front apron for a whopping $2250

Don't forget, you'll still need to pay a body man to fit and paint that.

> 3) Pay my body shop guy $1200 to repair my current apron
>    (I'm skeptical about this - in particular the space above the
>     grill is crimped a bit, I'm not sure how they could ever get
>     it to look right again):

That's the way I would go ... damage doesn't look all that bad to my
non-expert eye.  That crimp can be worked back very nearly right with hammer
and dolly, then the final profile set with a few thin coats of plastic
filler.

Haven't tried the 'glass front apron yet, but I paid a body shop to install
glass rear fenders some years ago.  They never did fit right, and I don't
think it's coincidence that the paint on them cracked after just a few
years.  Lots of interesting little problems too, like the captive nuts were
metric so they couldn't use the special bolts that go in the rain gutter.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net