Re: [TR] How much oil do you put in

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] How much oil do you put in
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 11:03:28 -0500
On 1 Jan 2007 at 0:00, Adrian Jones wrote:

> Happy New Year Everyone!

HNY to you also, and everyone else here!

> How much oil do you put in your engine?  I have always kept it at
> the Full mark but maybe the optimium amount would be halfway or
> even at the Add mark.  I've read that too much can rob horsepower
> because the crankshaft has to slosh its way through it.

I'm sure someone else here will have a more definitive answer but
I've always understood that the Full mark was intended to prevent the
crank from sloshing through the oil.  If the crank hits the oil it
froths it up so that the oil pump can end up with so much air that it
essentially loses pressure.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com