RE: [TR] TR6 clutch engagement squeal?

To: Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6 clutch engagement squeal?
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:52:43 -0400
Brian,

When did the squeal start?  Did you recently replace the pressure plate?
Perhaps with a Borg & Beck with the "cranked" fingers?

Many of us 6 owners have been through this very same annoying thing.  It's
those cranked fingers.

Randall's statement about preloading will work as it does for many, but I
don't think it's due to TO bearing changes.  Here's why.  I took an OLD B&B
pressure plate out of my 250 (straight fingers)with an OLD RHP bearing which
worked fine(no squeal).  I installed a NEW B&B pressure plate & driven plate
with the OLD RHP bearing.  It squealed.  Hmmm...scratching my head...it
didn't before...only change was the pressure plate & driven plate.  So...I
try the Gunst bearing...doesn't squeal for about 1 hour then it squeals.  I
did NOT preload the bearing.

So I tell a buddy of mine who's going through  the same thing.  I tell him
to buy a Sachs Pressure plate...straight fingers.  Got it through British
Parts Northwest...pretty cheap 126 including a new driven plate(NFI).  He
did NOT preload AND reports NO squealing after thousands of miles.  You tell
me...have I done enough experiments?  I didn't feel like pulling my gearbox
AGAIN after all this sooo...I deal with the little crickets inside my
gearbox.

Cheers,

Todd Bermudez
CD198L