Re: [TR] TR6 clutch engagement squeal?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 clutch engagement squeal?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:59:07 -0400
On 11 Oct 2006 at 20:29, DLylis@aol.com wrote:
> If it is any consolation, I had the same thing happen, however,
> I started driving the car more and it went away, and stayed away,
> until I started driving the car less.

I've been reading this thread with a sense of deja vu all over again.

My GT6's TO bearing used to squeal whenever I wasn't depressing the
clutch pedal.  I even pulled the tranny out once and replaced the
bearing on the possibility that it was too stiff.  (The machine shop
guy I had press it onto the carrier commented on how smooth the new
one was, but it wasn't really different from the one he took out.
Anyone need a very lightly-used RHP TO bearing for a GT6? :-)

The thing is, a Spitfire/GT6 clutch slave cylinder is supposed to
have a spring inside which keeps the bearing in slight contact with
the finger springs.  So why was mine squealing?  Perhaps my spring
was missing from the SC; I have reasons to suspect something like
that.  I attached a helper spring to the TO arm and the problem got
better.  It still squeals when the car is cold, so I keep my left
foot lightly on the pedal just enough to make it stop.  But after
five to ten minutes the squealing goes away.

I hypothesize that the rubber seal in the SC acts differently as it
warms up.  Or that bearing loosens up as it warms.  But I don't know
for sure.  It is something I can live with for now.  The next time I
take the interior apart I'll refresh the fluid, and maybe take the SC
apart out of curiosity, maybe rebuild or replace it.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org