[TR] MORE OIL FILTER WOES?

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] MORE OIL FILTER WOES?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:57:26 -0400
Part of my problem has always been that I've hardly been around a completed
Triumph of any kind.  My good friend, who lives nearby, Doug Matthews knows
these cars well, and, I've enjoyed my learning but it's usually at my car's
expense (which explains why after 3-4 years I'm just now getting it running.)

Because of this list, I was able to determine that due to my PO  the oil filter
housing unfortunately is a mixture of original Tecalemit and slightly different
Purolator parts.  This is a dangerous mixture.  The head says Tecalemit on it,
however, because of the threads on the long cannister bolt (16tpi) that part
must be Purolator.  Also the total length of a Tecalemit bolt is 8 7/8" (i
think) where as mine is only 8" long.  I am wondering what type of oil filter
cannister I have and if that makes for a (leaking?) difference.  My cannister
is 6 3/4" long measured when head and cannister is removed from engine and
seperated from each other.
        My o.f. cannister wiggles from side to side 1/8" even after it is
screwed up loosely to the aluminum o.f.head.  This side-to-side movement may be
ok, since, once it is completely tightened up it should be solid. (I can't
tighten up mine yet because the threads are stripped!) But, is this wiggle
acceptable?
          The black O-ring gasket comes in contact with most of the cannister;
I say 'most of' because a little of the black rubber can be seen sticking out
from around the entire perimeter of the cannister.  This sight gives me
confirmation that it looks ok, and if it indeed 'rides-off' the black rubber,
it does so inside the cannister, which is also ok, I believe.

 I've already accumlated several o.f. cartridg O-rings of VERY SLIGHT BUT
DIFFERENT DIAMETERS.  This has been after only a couple of oil filter changes
(part of the engine rebuilding routine).  This fact also leads me to believe I
have a mixture of types.

BOY, IT'S SURE FUN WORKING ON THESE OLD CARS!

If anyone has these parts where they can be measured, that would certainly make
me feel better and add to my validation.  I will report any findings I make
plus if anyone wishes to question any of the above, that also will help things
out!

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey, still hoping for a non-dripping '60 Triumph TR3A (TS71389)

===     http://www.vtr.org