RE: [TR] steering coupler placement

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] steering coupler placement
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:14:42 -0700
> However, beating (or solid taps) to the
> coupler does not help seat it (more than it already is).

Ohhh, bad idea !  That shaft is supported only by ball bearings in the
steering box, and determined pounding may well damage the bearings.

Plus, the coupler is located positively on both shafts, by the pinch bolt
going through the groove cut on the shaft.  It has only one position, and
should slide fairly easily into the correct position.

>  Any suggestions?
> Perhaps I should just let it be, it only barely touches the tube?

Why not move the tube upwards a bit, away from the coupler ?  It's only held
by clamps, I don't recall any positive location for it.  Really none is
needed, since it doesn't take any thrust along it's axis.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org