Re: [TR] Tr3A Upper wishbone bushing replacement question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3A Upper wishbone bushing replacement question
From: tr3driver@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:10:07 +0000
> I got the harder (polyurethan(?)) bushings - why wouldhn't youput grease
> onthem? I thought I read on this list that they were to be greased on the
> inside or outside depending on which theory you wanted to follow.

The warning to not grease applies only to OEM-style rubber bushes.  It won't
hurt poly or nylatron, in fact if you don't grease them, they have a tendency
to squeek.  I only greased the inside of my Nylatron ones.  But from what I've
heard of the poly bushes, you'll want to grease the outside so you can get them
into the arms.

FWIW, I didn't mean to say that all the nuts were not welded on my TR3A, only
the two inner ones on each side.  There may be a way to put them back in with
the spring in place, but I sure couldn't find it.  The area is boxed by the
frame upright and the "shroud" around the upper spring seat.  With the spring
and it's spacer in place, there is very little room left.  As I recall there
isn't even room around the nuts for a normal socket with the spring/spacer in
place.  The spacer keeps them from turning until they fall out on the floor.
Fortunately, I was planning to remove the springs anyway and it turned out to
be a much easier operation than I had anticipated, once I fabricated a TR
spring compressor from threaded rod and an old VW generator pulley half.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org