Re: tie rod end removal 101

To: "Scions of Lucas" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: tie rod end removal 101
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:48:18 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Halkett" <Stephen@silex.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:06 PM
Subject: tie rod end removal 101

 >The outer tie rod end (steering rack) will not come out
> of the vertical link. I did back of the lock nut on the tie rod as well
> as remove the nut from the bottom of the tie rod - nothing.  It seems
> very snug .. is this a press fit? ...is it threaded in?

Stephen-
    The outer tie rod end is a tapered fit. You will have to break the taper
in order to remove the tie rod from the steering knuckle. There are three
ways to do this.......

#1- There is a tool made for this specific operation. It is available at
most auto parts stores. It presses the tie rod end out of the steering
knuckle. I do not own one (see option #2)

#2- Break the taper with a big hammer. To do this, the head of the hammer
needs to hit the steering knuckle where the tie rod end is fastened. The
hammer blow must hit at an angle perpendicular to the tie rod end threaded
portion. The tie rod end is vertical, the hammer swing should be horizontal
(or parallel with the floor of the garage). Strike the steering knuckle
repeatedly, this will force the bore to go oblong for a micro-second and
should break the taper if hit hard enough. Don't be shy. Be careful of
surrounding body work as well. I take the front tire off, and turn the
steering wheel so that it orients the knuckle where I can swing a hammer
effectively. A large ball peen or 24 oz framing hammer should do it. On a
really stubborn one I will use a 3 pound sledge. Haven't had one beat me
yet.

#3 Use a pickle fork. Also available at most auto parts stores. This tool
wedges between the knuckle and the tie rod end. It will destroy the boot on
the tie rod end resulting in replacement of the tie rod end. Use this tool
if you are going to replace the part anyway. This tool is under $10 and I do
own one of these. I mainly use it separating ball joints but it does work
well foot tie rod as well.

Good luck-
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6