Re: TR3A Headlights

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Headlights
From: John Wise <JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:10:06 -0700
>I also was referred for headlight conversion to danielsternlighting.com, where
>I should go with 7" convex/dome face H4 high/low beam plus 60/55W OSRAM High
>Efficiency Plus 50 bulbs.  Then should add fuses and relays to the headlight
>circuit because the original headlight wiring harness was completely unfused.

I became a believer in H4 headlights when I converted my 911 from US
sealed beams to (originally) Hella H4s.  I really like the light
pattern.  It keeps the light down on the road to help you see & out
of the oncoming driver's eyes, when you forget to dim them.  I later
converted my 911 to Bosch H4s and have  installed the Hella H4s on
the TR3.

The only downside, if you want an original look, is the "flat" face
of the H4s.  It does not bother me, but living in Arizona where the
state flower is a rock, I installed rock guards over my headlights.
Since the rock guards are convex , it effectively hides the H4s
flatness.

I use PIAA 60/55W ultra white lights, because as we (the drivers not
the car) get older our visual sensitivity in the yellow range drops
(cornea/lens get a little yellow) so it really does help older eyes
to see better at night.  (end of vision lecture)

BTW, I experimented with the 911 when we lived in Florida with very
high wattage  normal (traditional US 'standard' whitish-yellow) color
bulbs.  I found that on the long and very dark stretches of road I
occasionally drove at night, the PIAA 60/55W ultra white lights had
the same perceived brightness as the ones sucking all the electrons
out of my electrical system.

John
--
John Wise