Re: TR3A Headlights

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Headlights
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:35:22 EST
In a message dated 12/19/2005 8:28:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:

Normally  (and originally) PL700s were incandescent (and none too bright).
There have  been halogen inserts available in the past, but I don't know if
they still  are or not.  Note that, while they look indisputably cool, PL700s
were  neither original to US-spec cars, nor IMO are they an upgrade over  the
original DOT-approved incandescent headlamps.  All the  disadvantages of
non-sealed reflectors without any of the advantages of  modern headlamps.

==AM==
"Upgrade" might well be in the eye of the beholder. Back some years ago, I
had PL700s in my Spitfire Mk3 and then in my GT6+. I also had the P700 (which
is  really the "correct" headlamp for a sidescreen car) in my TR3A. While they
(literally) paled in comparison to almost any good halogen headlamp, they did
 seem brighter to me than the typical US-spec tungsten filament sealed-beam,
and  the light pattern was rather better.

Biggest problem I ever had with either lamp was that, here in the sometimes
damp and often salty (in wintertime) Northeast, the reflectors were very prone
 to rusting away. It was one thing to get a State motor vehicle inspection
station to ignore the fact that the lamps weren't sealed-beam and didn't have
the little nibs on the lens to hold those crappy headlamp alignment fixtures.
It  was quite another to explain why there were rust spots and even holes in
the  inside bottom of your headlamps. :-(

Meanwhile, a quick-and-dirty upgrade is as close as your local auto parts
store, where you should be able to pick up 7" sealed-beam halogens. Again, the
light pattern is nothing to write home about, but they're definitely way
brighter than the old tungsten lamps (if you can even find those outside of a
flea market or eBay?).

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us)

===     http://www.vtr.org