RE: TR? motor (V669ME) & gear box identification question

To: zoboherald@aol.com, CFisher@borgwarner.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR? motor (V669ME) & gear box identification question
From: CFisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:11:15 -0600
<Snip>...what looks like a Typical TRactor motor but the
Serial number stamped next to the coil mount bracket is V669ME.
==AM==
Sounds like an early Standard Vanguard motor -- maybe pre-1950 -- with
that low a number. How is the motor "built" otherwise?<snip>

The head looks like a high port TR head. The casting number on the head is
302137. I haven't been able to see a serial number yet, may take some
cleaning first.
The dip stick is in the normal TR location.
The back of the casting does not encircle the head of the starter motor,
it's a half circle where the starter mounts.
The ancillaries look pretty normal for a TR3A to me.
I haven't looked super close since I just got it home and needs cleaned up.
Anything else too look for? David Hammond suggested also that it was a
Vangard unit fitted to a Morgan.

<Snip> The gearbox has the number CT50815 stamped on the back of the clutch
shaft
boss.<Snip>
Thanks,
Curt

==AM==
I believe that would be a TR4 gearbox.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>

===     http://www.vtr.org