Re: Quizz Answers ... NO LBC

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thfoot.com>
Subject: Re: Quizz Answers ... NO LBC
From: James Ruffner <jar@aldermanroad.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:51:50 -0500
Of course, the "copperplate" L with the bar is as incongruous to England
as our "#" mark is here:  its origins are from the French word, "Livre,"
which was a weight of one pound.  The basic unit of currency in France
was, as was adopted in England, a pound of silver, and it has its
origins in Rome from the Latin word "libra," which is a weight of one pound.

Maybe if the British wanted to be correct, they should designate the
unit of currency Pound as:
*P *with a "*-*" through it!  Just like our "*$*" sign had its origins
as the "*S*" with "*U*" superimposed over it.

Interestingly, the Roman pound was subdivided into 12 onces, and the
English divided the Pound into 12 shillings, of 20 pence each.  Thus a
shilling was one oz. of sterling silver.

Cheers.

===     http://www.vtr.org