Re: Click Adjust

To: anabil007@comcast.net, shrack04@netzero.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Click Adjust
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:38:31 EST
In a message dated 12/2/2005 11:29:37 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
anabil007@comcast.net writes:

I   must confess that I  bought a Click Adjust from Moss, and I can't
make  the  darn thing  work ... however  ... I  have  never really
been able to figure out  how to adjust valve  clearances even using a
feeler gauge ...  yeah I know I must be  stupid.  I  would love to
find a school ... or whatever that  could give me hands on experience
doing this  sort of thing. I  have  managed to install the HDVA tranny
in the TR3, replace  the  driveshaft and replace the  pinon oil seal
in the   TR6  so I  am not a  total goof working  on cars,  but  I just
can not "get it"  in adjust in  valves  ...
ANY ideas  gratefully accepted   ...

Here, let me tug up my flame proof underwear and I'll tell you  how we did it
under to old shade tree when I was a boy.

We took off the valve cover and started the engine.  Then  we loosened each
valve and tightened it until it stopped making noise, then  maybe a 1/4 turn
back, kind of played with it, and then moved to the next  valve.

It's really messy with oil spurting everywhere, and a piece of  garden hose
helps to listen as you tighten the valve adjustment, but it  works.

This was one of the last things I did to my TR3 before I sold  it in 1971.

Ok, ducking into das bunker to await the reasons it should  never, ever be
done this way.

Robert B.  Houston
Texan in New Mexico

63 TR4
73 MG Midget
94 F150
03  Beetle

To model our political system upon speculations of  lasting tranquility, is
to calculate on the weaker springs of the human  character.
---Alexander  Hamilton

===     http://www.vtr.org