Re: 'improvements' to a Triumph?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 'improvements' to a Triumph?
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 03:46:45 EDT
Hi Steve,
>>>when I popped the gas cap it gasped bigtime.<<<
   If you mean there was a vacuum in the gas tank, then there is something
plugging up the vent. It should easily allow air in to prevent a gradual
increase in vacuum as the fuel is removed from the tank. If not, *that* could
certainly lead to some fuel supply problems. Later cars had a vented gas cap.
Our
'62s didn't.
<<<<Also sometimes after a short grocery stop the car runs really ragged for
a minute. I started wondering if my carb bowls are hotter now that there's
less cool air
wafting around the scrappy old cardboard shroud and the engine compartment.
I'm thinking of making a fresh air intake and heat shield for the carbs -- it
looked like my PO might have had a similar intake in the old cardboard shroud
from his racing days in the mid-60's. <<<
   I think the heat shield to protect the carbs from headers or manifold heat
is a good idea. But, I doubt any fresh air intake is necessary. Look at the
gap between the hood and the valance. There is plenty of air getting into the
engine compartment, above the radiator shroud.
>>>But a scoop for the bottom sounds like a good idea too. What do you
think?<<<
   Assuming you still have the bumper on the car, an intake or two in the
lower valance would direct a lot of air to the bottom of the radiator. An air
dam
or something like that is probably more than is needed.
   Pikes Peak is a tough climb for any car... or human. I camped at Devil's
Playground once during the Hill Climb in July or August. It snowed. Word of
advice, don't try to play frisbee at 12,780 ft.
Cheers!
Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L