RE: 'improvements' to a Triumph?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 'improvements' to a Triumph?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:32:06 -0700
> What  'improvements' to a Triumph (used as a daily driver and not
> concerned
> with originality) have been most worthwhile for you?  Don't need
> to include
> common ones like rack and pinion steering, luggage rack, heater, etc.
>
> Hopefully, someone will include some 'homemade' improvements (which are
> taylored more to my pocketbook)!  Small improvements are ok too.

Paul, I drove my TR3A to work almost every day (rain or shine) for many
years.  In fact I was on my way home from work when it got totaled.  For
most of that time I had very little money to spend, so my mods were pretty
modest.

At the risk of being 'common', I feel a low speed cooling upgrade is
essential for stop and go traffic.  Although perhaps not the cheapest way, I
would still go for an electric radiator fan (possibly sourced from a
junkyard, but I was lucky enough to find a "scratch n dent" Hayden for $50)
and an alternator to power it ($15 for the alternator, regulator & wiring
harness from the junkyard).  I got a friend to bore out the original
generator pulley to put on the alternator.

As I've said before, I don't consider R&P steering to be worth the hassle on
a TR3A.  With a fresh rebuild, the stock steering works quite well.

All of the front suspension and steering bushings were upgraded, mostly
because the rubber ones rot away so quickly.  Nylatron for the inner A-arm
pivots, brass for the Silentblocs in the center link.

TR6 wheels with low profile tires.  "Homemade" content : I modified the TR6
wheels to take TR3 hubcaps, by drilling and tapping, then grinding the heads
off the bolts.

ADDCO (JC Whitney) swaybars front & rear.

High power Xenon headlights off eBay, $50.  Not really needed to drive to
work (it's never actually dark in Los Angeles) but very worthwhile if you
ever drive in the country at night.  I also switched to higher power
tail/brake lamp bulbs, and a mechanically operated brake light switch.  And
a $20 headlight relay from JCW.

Overdrive or one of Herman's 5-speed conversions is a must, IMO.

That actually about does it ... I was still running the original brakes,
shocks, fuel pump, etc.  Made some "hot rod" changes to the motor, but don't
consider them important for driving to work.  Ran a MSD 6 ignition most of
the time, triggered by points, but again I wouldn't call it essential.

Randall