Re: 80 Spitfire Fan Relay

To: rickandcecilia@comcast.net, SPIT6CGT6@egroups.com, nass@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: 80 Spitfire Fan Relay
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:13:33 EDT
In a message dated 8/1/2005 2:24:46 PM Central Standard Time,
rickandcecilia@comcast.net writes:
> I just replaced my old electric fan with a new 12 blade fan.  ALl is
> running
> very well BUT I noticed that when the relay comes on to start the fan, it
> clicks very rapidly as long as the fan is running.  I thought it would clikc
> once for on, and once for off.  Can someone listen to theirs and tell me if
> that rapid clicking while the fan is running is normal?

You're right, it should click only once on start up and once again on shut
down.  The constant clicking will quickly burn up the points.

I suspect the new fan draws a bunch more current than does the old one.
Perhaps the various fuses and connectors in the circuit create enough voltage
drop
at that current to cause the relay to drop out.  Or perhaps the Spitfire has
a self resetting current limiting device (I don't know that much about the
late Spitfires) but if the fan does pull more current you may have to provide
an
auxiliary power feed to it.

Dave