Re: VTR trip almost complete

To: pethier@isd.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VTR trip almost complete
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:07:29 EDT
In a message dated 8/1/2005 2:20:19 PM Central Standard Time, pethier@isd.net
writes:
> That's right. Most of the way back. On Highway 61 south of
> Red Wing, right in front of the Correctional Institution,
> the left front wheel came adrift. Looks like total
> wheel-bearing failure. Broke the mounting ears off the brake
> caliper. Amazingly, the assembly stayed with the car. The
> brake hose stayed attached, so the single-system brakes
> (1962, remember?) still worked. We came to rest on
> centerline 20 feet upstream of the beginning of a median and
> the sign therefor, so we don't owe the state for damaged
> property. Bodywork looks OK. Nothing ever touched the
> pavement but the tires. Sue and I were unhurt.

Good luck is with you.  A friend lost a rear wheel at 30 and did a 180 in the
road.  When he went back to get the wheel it was nowhere to be found.  The
moral of the story is don't tack weld the studs on a TR3.

Not to worry, these things are tough.  A few new front suspension parts and
she'll be good as new.

Dave