RE: TR3A SU rebuild

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3A SU rebuild
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:02:22 -0800
> 1.  Based on memory of a long ago rebuild, I set mixture at 6 flats
> open.  Is that in the ballpark??

I honestly don't recall, it's so irrelevant that I just don't worry about it.
You'll start the engine on the choke anyway, and if the mixture is so lean the
engine won't run, you can keep it running with the choke until you get a chance
to set the mixture.

> 2.  I noticed that when I pulled the choke full-on the jet assemblies
> pulled out about 1/4 inch does that seem reasonable?

Yup, that's reasonable.

> 3.  I also noticed when the choke is full-on the jet assembly on the
> front carburetor in noticeably further-out (about 1/16 inch) than the
> rear.  Again does this seem reasonable.

You'll want to synchronize the chokes, but at the beginning at their travel, not
full-on.  Full on is only for starting, but in cool weather you'll want to be
able to drive with a bit of choke.  Set the mixture nuts first, then synchronize
the chokes at roughly 1/16" travel.

> One on the things I did prior to disassembly was to take digital
> pictures of both carburetors from all 4 directions, printed them out,
> & hung them over my workbench to help remind me where the exterior
> parts go & the right orientation.  It was a big help both times.

Hopefully they were right before.

Good luck
Randall Y