Re: Steering Rack

To: John Gumkowski <johngumkowski@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack
From: David Robertson <david@robertson.org.nz>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:27:45 +1300 6.5.3|September 14, 2004) at 25/12/2004 08:27:50
Cc: "triumphs@Autox.Team.Net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
>the rack itself (inside the tube) can be moved from side to side.  That
side to side movement is
>causing the clunk.
>
>I see that there is a $14.95 bush (Moss 667-115), but replacing it looks
difficult.

I haven't replaced this bush on a TR6 but I've done a few 2000/2500 sedans
& I'd surprised if there'e much difference. The only difficult part is
getting the old bush out. I use a piece of a hacksaw blade to cut most of
the way through the bush & then a very small chisel between the bush & the
housing to collapse the bush. Replacement just taps in. The rest of the
rack rebuild is really just cleaning & adjusting, assuming you don't have
significant wear in the gear teeth (and I think your checking would have
shown it if you did).

Regards,
David Robertson

    1961 Thunderbird
    1978 Triumph 2500S
    1974 Triumph Spitfire

  <<< Life is too short to drive boring cars >>>

http://www.robertson.org.nz/David1.htm

This email has been scanned by Symantec Antivirus for Domino.