RE: Diver Side Rear Axel Seal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Diver Side Rear Axel Seal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 15:17:29 -0700
> A pool of dark oil on the ground, and sprayed oil inside my nice
> new wheels,
> would appear to indicate that my drivers side axel oil seal has
> given up the
> ghost.  Brake fluid level is fine so I know it's not a cylinder or line.
>
> Am I looking at a monster job - or maybe a seal I can pry out and
> push a new
> one in? <fingers crossed!!>

Wayne, we need a lot more information, including what car and which axle.

Your description doesn't make a lot of sense anyway, since only the TR2-4
have oil anywhere near the wheels, and it would have to get through two
seals and a bearing full of grease to run out onto the wheels.  My guess is
that you're looking at two different problems.

The axle grease seals in the front are pretty easy to replace.  The ones in
the rear require a special tool that no one has.

I'm only kidding a little bit, there are a few people that have the tool but
not many.  To change the seal, the rear hubs have to be pressed off of the
axle.  Because of the extreme force involved, it's essential that the hub be
properly supported during the operation, otherwise it may distort and ruin
the hub.  The "right" tool looks like a steel tophat and has a wide flange
that mates with the hub flange to hold it flat.

I'm going to have Herman van den Akker do mine ... he has made a custom tool
that not only supports the flange properly, but uses a hydraulic jack
instead of a forcing screw.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: