nitro tires

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: nitro tires
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:39:36 -0400 FILETIME=[1AB1C5F0:01C48271]
Listers,

Nitrogen is used in a lot of competition tires simply because it is more
temperature  stable than the gas mix that makes up air. Yes, it is also true
that compressing air makes a good deal of moisture.

For many years I ran SCCA events in many different types of cars and we ran
hundreds of events in 1600 Formula Ford. Yes, we used nitrogen and yes we
would see less of an increase in tire pressure after say a 30 lap event on
it reather than on air. This simply made it easier to get the proper chassis
setup and hold it.

If usying air you would need to take a greater expansion into consideration.
like starting the event a pound short to get to the setting of say 15/17lbs.
Nitrogen would let you set at 16 if that was the goal and stay there. Nice.

Happy motoring

Greenfield, Ma
Gloucester, Ma
USA.
       ***  ~*~*~* ALWAYS BE SAFE  *~*~*~  ***
Life is not a race.....you do not want to finish first.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: