RE: TR4 stuck coolant drain tap

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 stuck coolant drain tap
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:59:00 -0700
> Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for freeing a stuck
> drain tap at
> the bottom of a TR4 radiator.  I don't really want to apply too
> much force to
> it and wrench it off or break it.  Any chemicals or other advice?

My suggestion would be to remove the tap from the radiator first, and then
work on freeing it up.

If it's a 1/4 turn tap like the ones on a TR3, then it is held together by a
cotter pin that you can remove, along with the washer and spring under it
(don't worry, these components are fairly easily replaceable).  Then with
the body of the tap supported firmly on vice jaws or whatever, gently tap
the tapered spigot out of the body.  Clean it up and smear a little silicone
grease on, before reassembling.  While you're at the store searching for a
new spring and washer, pick up some teflon pipe dope to use on the threads
into the radiator.

Randall