Re: TR4 stuck coolant drain tap

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 stuck coolant drain tap
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 01:13:14 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall wrote:

>>Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for freeing a stuck
>>drain tap at
>>the bottom of a TR4 radiator.  I don't really want to apply too
>>much force to
>>it and wrench it off or break it.  Any chemicals or other advice?
>

> My suggestion would be to remove the tap from the radiator first, and then
> work on freeing it up.

A second on what Randall prescribes. Trying to do it on the radiator
  can cause one to work the fitting on the radiator to the point
where it will fail, and then is looking at both a valve repair and a
radiator repair.  Remove the valve first and then try to get it
loosened up. If one has it off, one can let it perch on the bench
upside down for a while full of penetrating oil and then give it a
try.  Trying to the same on the car is pretty much futile.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.