idling difficulties

To: "INTERNET:IkeLevine@aol.com" <IkeLevine@aol.com>
Subject: idling difficulties
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:39:17 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i6QHeUt2031004
Message text written by INTERNET:IkeLevine@aol.com
>After a five minute warm up period, if you pull the choke out the idle
speed
will reduce to 1500 but if you put the choke in, the idle revs upward and
stays close to 3000rpm.

I have had this difficulty intermittently, especially after driving for a
morning, turning the car off for a couple of hours then restarting.  In the

past, if I applied some gas and rev up the engine a bit, the rpms would
reduce
to normal, but lately, the engine will 'race' when in neutral and I can
drive
nearly 45mph in third without the foot on the gas peddle.  Very dangerous
as
the brakes are working very hard against the engine to stop.  I hesitate
put it into neutral because sometimes the engine will rev up to 4000+.
<

This could be the over-run valves on the side of the carbs.  These are
designed to open whenever the engine vacuum gets too high (such as when you
let off of the gas to up shift) to reduce emissions.  When the diaghrams
get old and hard of if someone tweeks the adjustments they may open when
not necessary causing this symptom.

To test this theory, take them off (three screws) and cut a new gasket that
has no holes save the screw holes and replace them.  I've been testing mine
for the last 15 years.

Dave Massey
71 TR6