TR3 ....recollections from my 63 TR3 in 1964 and over heating

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 ....recollections from my 63 TR3 in 1964 and over heating
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:07:32 -0400
Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu <mailto:mathews@uga.edu> >
Wrote:

                                I was fortunate enough to acquire a 63 TR3B
in 64 and I belive it had 7,xxx
                                miles or so on it
                                (SNIP)
                                I lived, and still do, in Georgia and no
matter what the temp,
                                (Another snip)
                                Point is, I never worried about over heating
with it.

As a contrary data point to Doug's testimony I offer the following:

My father bought a TR4A brand new in Atlanta in 1968.
My mother still tells stories of driving that car while being 7 - 8 months
pregnant with my brother. (He was born in 69)
She remembers sitting in Atlanta traffic and watching that temperature gauge
creep up, praying that it wouldn't overheat.
(as it apparently had done on more than one occasion)

For me personally . . . I had a re-cored radiator installed about a decade
ago or so.
I've also put a yellow TR6 fan on my TR4.

It too will idle indefinitely in the hottest weather without the temperature
creeping up at all.

So my point is . . . your mileage may vary.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 Everyday