Re: Driveshaft U-Joints

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Driveshaft U-Joints
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:14:41 +0100
Hi Dennis
I have just recently done all four on the back of my saloon, 2 GKN Hardy
Spicer, 2 other which GMB seems to ring a bell but may not have been.
The GKN unit went in and were what I would describe as normal possibly
erring towards a little loose. The others were well tight, I did manage to
get them a bit looser by hitting the yoke with a hide faced hammer to make
sure the cups were seated tight against the circlip, but they were still
tighter than normal.
I was going to try mixing and matching the circlips with some of the old
ones but bottled out after one of the old ones broke when compressing it to
reinstall!.
I just went with the tight ones, they are approaching the 2000 mile mark,
(gee in eight weeks I have done 1800 miles at 24 to the gallon that is 75
gallons at #4.09 /gal for 99 octane unleaded, that's #306) I think they are
preferable to a loose one, and it is a toss up as to whether they are better
than the normal to loose GKN installation that I have.

Graham.
Ps I have enjoyed every single ounce of juice I have burnt to the nth
degree!