Re: TR4 Broken Rings

To: mwhart47@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Broken Rings
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:28:16 EDT
mwhart47@yahoo.com writes:

<< Hi all, From compression checks, I believe I have broken one or more rings
in the third cylinder. Other than being a mosquito fogger, and planning to
rebuild engine later, is there any problem with driving my car? TIA

 Mike
 63 TR4 Surrey Top

If the rings are truly broken, they will score the cylinder bore, then the
piston could receive damage from the scratched bore.  Do a leak down to make
sure you do not have a burnt valve or stuck oil rings  Worn valve guides will
leak oil and cause the exhaust valve to burn.

If the oil usage is extreme, the compression will be higher in that cylinder
causing detonation.  You might not even hear the noise but eventually the
piston will collapse.

Are your plugs coming oit oil soaked?

Harold