Fwd: if the TR3 were made today

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: if the TR3 were made today
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 01:37:50 EDT
From Btmfdchn at aol.com
Full-name: Btmfdchn
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 01:24:54 EDT
Subject: Re: if the TR3 were made today
To: Ryoung@navcomtech.com

In a message dated 6/3/2004 12:02:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

Have you looked at a modern Morgan ?  Granted they still look like a kit car
... but IMO the resemblance to a classic Morgan ends there.  Not one body
panel is the same, I'll bet not one suspension or frame piece is the same
(no wood to be found), and I know the motor and transmission is not the
same.  Rear axle is dubious too (but I haven't been under one to check).

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=7267

"The frame is an interesting combination of rectangular aluminum tubes that
are reinforced with bonded and riveted aluminum panels"

Sure doesn't sound like a Morgan to me !!
Randall
Greetings...  I've looked at and sat in a modern Morgan.  The Car and Driver
article is about the Aero 8, an upscale motorcar targeted at the Porsche, TVR
crowds, you know, sort of like a Stag. The Aero bodywork is built on an ash
frame, just like the traditionals.  It's even been left exposed in the doors.
If you look at the Morgan Motor Company site, you will find the traditional
Morgan still in production.  The car is evolutionary.  The changes have been
made
to meet safety and smog standards.  The chassis is still light gauge steel
(nice and flexy, just like always), the rear suspension is still live axle with
leaf springs (those 2004 springs will fit a 60's car like my 61) and the front
suspension is the same-(except for brakes) and the parts will interchange.
Even the SuperForm ally wings for a 2004 will fit.  As to price and being a
working mans car, in 1961, the price for a TR3A was 699GBP.  The Sunbeam Alpine
was 685GBP,  The MGA was 632GBP.  The high priced playboy special Morgan +4 was
was 645GBP. (Source-1961 AutoParade).  That old Morgans command nearly twice
the price of an equivalent TR I think just reflects the rarity.  My feelings
are that just like there's nothing like a Morgan, there's nothing like a TR.
TJ(and remember, TR'd used Morgan engines)