RE: Head gasket - TR4

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Head gasket - TR4
From: "Zahid Ahsanullah" <zahid.ahsanullah@ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:05:28 -0500
Glacier> 1. The replacement gasket I have is the same as the failed - copper
both sides over fiber. Is there anything better? any suggestions?

My 1980 Spitwad headgasket blew after 20 miles during a cold and rainy day
last february. this was after a full engine rebuild. The old gasket was a
fiber metal $9 junk that had worked a coupld times before. I replaced it
with a $25 original part and this time re-torqued the head after couple of
days of driving. I noticed that the overflow bottle was low on fluid even
with this gasket when I opened the bonnet for re-torqueing. But it has
stayed quite constant since. I think these old engined should always be
torqued twice, mine needed 1.5 turns on some head bolts.

Good luck

Zahid

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
image002.jpg]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Glacier Bkgrd.jpg]