RE: Head gasket - TR4

To: "'James R. Holekamp'" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Head gasket - TR4
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:47:07 -0700
1.  The replacement gasket I have is the same as the failed - copper
both sides over fiber.  Is there anything better? any suggestions?

Have you ever modified the engine for 87 MM pistons/liners? If so some of
the sandwich copper gaskets are actually too small and burn out exactly
where you're describing. Rimmer Bros sells the correct one. Using a solid
metal gasket, either copper or steel, requires a very flat head and block
deck in order to seal properly. Unless you're planning on taking the block
out and having it machined then I'd recommend the sandwich.

2.  I plan to fill the engine with new oil & filter, start and bring the
engine up to operating temp, shut down and change the oil and filter -
to try and rid the engine crankcase of the residual oil/coolant now
present. Any other ideas?

Sounds OK to me.

John