Frozen TR6 Steering

To: "Edward Corcoran" <ewc777@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Frozen TR6 Steering
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:53:00 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i3QCtWRS001649
Message text written by "Edward Corcoran"
>I have a '71 TR6 that had been working fine when parked/stored last
December
in my garage, as it has for the past 12 winters.  When I got it out last
weekend for the first time this year, it fired right up, but I was unable
turn the wheels in either direction.  The steering column seems OK (i.e.
not
disengaged from the steering assembly), but the wheels will not deflect in
either direction - I tried with the car moving and with the front end
jacked
up off of the ground.
<

Hmm. I guess the first order of business is to determine what is keeping
the wheels from turning.  It could be the steering lock is not disengaging.
 When you turn the wheel does it hit a hard stop or is it more progressive?
 The former would indicate that the steering lock is not disengaging.  If
the lock-up were further down the line the rubber coupler would compress
and you would feel a more progressive resistance.

Check it out and let us know.

Dave