RE: * Valve Timing & Undone Bolt *

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: * Valve Timing & Undone Bolt *
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:44:59 -0700
> 1) A small bolt on "valve tube" in between valves 7 and 8 had
> come loose and
> was lying on top of the cylinder head.  I have no idea what the
> bolt did but
> it was threaded into the "valve tube" - or whatever the name of
> the tubular
> thing the valves ride on it called (sorry ;-))  Does anyone know what that
> bolt does, and the symptoms?

That tubular thing is called the rocker shaft.  The screw (which BTW is a
British Standard thread and head size) locates the shaft to keep it from
turning and possibly blocking the oil feed from the head (to the rockers).
I believe it also penetrates into the center of the rocker shaft, so without
it, the rockers were not getting as much oil as they should.

However, they'll work that way a long time, so there's probably no permanent
damage done.

Randall