* Valve Timing & Undone Bolt *

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: * Valve Timing & Undone Bolt *
From: "Wayne" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:04:14 -0500
Hi everyone!
As usual I have to thank everyone, and the LIST for the fantastic advice.
My Valves are adjusted now and so far the car has not misfired.  I have not
duplicated the distance to work (when the problem first showed itself) but I
have exceed the previous RPMS of 2500.  I just got back from a quick run a
few minutes ago and had the car up to 4,000.

Here's what I found:
1) A small bolt on "valve tube" in between valves 7 and 8 had come loose and
was lying on top of the cylinder head.  I have no idea what the bolt did but
it was threaded into the "valve tube" - or whatever the name of the tubular
thing the valves ride on it called (sorry ;-))  Does anyone know what that
bolt does, and the symptoms?
2) The COLD compression before the valve adjustment (I know I supposed to do
it warm) was 165 in cylinders 1,2,4 and 163 in cylinder 3.  This with my
Dads 20+ year old compression guage.  I'm happy that there is no deviation.
3) The valve gaps were tested in the fully closed position and were found to
be:

Valve   Gap
1          .06
2          .002
3          .002
4          .08
5          .008
6          .002
7          .002
8          .008

I reset them all to .01. It should be noted that the head was rebuilt right
before I got the car.

So now I do the timing.  I have read Terry Anne's site and all I need to do
is figure out how to test the opening and closing of the Pertronics which I
suppose I will keep in there for now?

Thanks again everyone!

Wayne