First TR3a ride of the season, hmmm...

To: "'Triumphs@Autox Net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: First TR3a ride of the season, hmmm...
From: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:31:18 -0400
Afternoon all,

Today was the first real drive of the TR3a after the long winter sleep.  It
seems I have some gremlins to track down.

-          The indicator is a little skidish when activated.  It seems to
settle when I nudge the lever towards me.  The control head has to come
apart huh?

-          When "de-gearing" to a stop the idle seems to start choking and
tries to die.  Unless I "tweak" the idle it continues to try and die, it
will need another press of the accelerator or two sometimes.  Then the idle
seems to come back ok.  I have opened the distributor and there seems to be
no noticeable play when I jiggle the shaft. What am I looking for next?

-          On the way home the first 20 minutes of the drive went really
nice, temp right on 185degF.  Then the engine started to sputter you could
hear the air being sucked in when pressing the gas but the power still
dropped.  As the power dropped, I shift down to raise the rpm and try ride
through it.  No luck it ends up dying.  Thinking of flooding once it is
dead, I hold the pedal to open the carbs and let out the gas.  She then
starts and let me go a little further before doing it again.

o        94 octane gas

o        Float bowl is full

o        No leaking from the carbs or anything

o        Strong ignition, no probs when cold

Ideas are always welcome here, please.

David Templeton

'59 Triumph TR3a

'74 Triumph Spitfire