Re: TR3A Tie rods - safety question

To: adrianjones747@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Tie rods - safety question
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:44:37 EDT
In a message dated 4/20/2004 8:08:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
adrianjones747@earthlink.net writes:

The tie  rod end on the passenger side (US, LHD) appears to have come "loose".
Take  a look at the photo that's up at
http://home.earthlink.net/~adrianjones747/

It looks to me that it needs to be tightened up somewhat!  What  you cannot
see in the photo is that the grease nipple is actually rubbing  against the
frame and that the cotter (split) pin at the other end has "fallen  out"....
Bear with me - I've never messed with steering/suspension parts  before.
What should I do here?

Uh, get a new one? and fairly quickly, like before driving the car  again?
Something tells me that the ball joint portion has disintegrated.  How "loose"
is that on its own shaft?
I might be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.
--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a  jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your,  er,
Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price  Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)