RE: tr3 aprons

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr3 aprons
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:43:05 -0700
> i have this on my car. 1958 but
> registered as a 1959.

Same as mine ... what's your commission number ?  Mine's TS39781LO.

We are, of course, talking about what most people call a TR3A ... the TR3
had a completely different grill design frequently called a "smallmouth".

> not unusual i am now finding.
> later on sometime. i don't know when. things changed and the apron was
> pressed from one piece of metal. i know this because i have one.

I also have a one piece replacement apron on TS39781LO.  I know it was a
factory replacement because it's never had the holes drilled for the badge
and letters !

> supposedly on the 3 piece apron the grill was a little different. it
> supposedly has a slight concave shape in the height, curving in,
> ever so slight toward
> the radiator. later on the one piece apron it became flat.
> true or false?

I don't know, but I've never heard that explanation before.  Very
interesting if it's true !

My one piece apron had a somewhat flatter opening, requiring the grill to be
gently curved to fit, when I got it.  Someone backed into me in the parking
lot, pushing the arch downward, and the body shop left even less arch in the
opening, so I had to add more curve to the grill to make it fit.

> i understand but have no proof that all 4 parts (grill and apron) are
> interchangeable.
> what do you know?

The grill metal is very soft and easy to shape.  I don't believe the grilles
came in two different designs, one curved and one flat ... but I do believe
that all the replacement grilles are made in the early pattern.  Early in
TR3A production, the factory changed the grill pattern to make the holes
larger and reduce overheating problems but all the replacement grilles have
the smaller holes.  I reshaped mine to get more airflow at the same time I
made it fit the modified opening.

> and then the only question for me is one of authenticity.

"Authenticity" is in the eye of the beholder ... neither the repaired
3-piece grill nor the 1-piece grill will ever be "original" (at best it's a
repaired original) so the real question is whether anyone else will notice.
And since AFAIK no one knows for sure why some grille openings have more
arch than others (except mine where I know it was improperly repaired), it's
going to be hard for anyone to call you on it.

We somehow seem to get the idea that these cars left the factory all exactly
identical ... it's simply not true.  They were not build by machines, so
each car was an individual work.  So unless they were standing there when it
left the assembly line, and have photographic memory, no one can say with
certainty that it's "wrong".

My advice is to decide which apron it pleases you to use and go with it.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, WooHoo!)
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wannabe (waiting for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly