Engine Interference with Steering Rack

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Interference with Steering Rack
From: "Larry Plott" <lplott@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:55:04 -0400
List,

I am in the midst of piecing together several TR4A's to make one.  I have
placed my rebuilt TR4A engine onto an IRS frame and find that the radiator fan
extension just touches my steering rack.  While I can turn the engine by hand,
I find that there is definitely contact.  Obviously something is wrong.  I
have new engine mounts in place and everything appears to be correct apart
from the interference issue.  It appears that I need to place extra spacers
under the mounts to ensure that the crank dampening device doesn't touch the
rack.  Can anyone tell me how much should the engine clear the rack?  More
importantly, does anyone have a suggestion on what might be wrong?  Thanks in
advance for your help.

Regards,

Larry Plott
lplott@triad.rr.com