Re: New Engine Break-In Oil

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Engine Break-In Oil
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:31:21 +0100
Hi Terry
Running in oil is all about letting the machined surfaces bed in to one
another, running anything other than running in oil will tend to glaze these
surfaces, this will almost certainly lead to an early increase in oil
consumed through the combustion process and premature wear on the moving
parts.
Also the driving technique used during running in will have a bearing on the
life of the engine, first follow any "conditioning" instructions with the
cam, generally something like 20 mins above 2000 rpm no load no shut down
and restart allowed (so make sure it is going to be able to run for this
duration when first you start it or your cam may well end up toast!)
Then after an initial warm through allow to cool and re-torque the head!
Now you are ready to drive, do not allow the engine to labour in high gears
at low revs, do not drive at a consistent rpm (don't get on the highway and
cruise at 50 for example), do not use high rpms (say over 3000 rpm ) until a
hundred miles has elapsed and then increase the max rpm you use in 500 rpm
increments, use your discretion on when it is ready for more rpms, as it
frees up allow more rpms. Try to restrict high rpms to short bursts
initially, again as the engine frees up high rpms can be sustained for
longer periods.
The most important thing is not to labour the engine, this will do more harm
than high rpms. A revving engine is lightly loaded, a labouring engine is
heavily loaded!
This has been my method with all rebuilt engines (and gbox and axle) and I
think it has given them the best chance to withstand my urge to press on!

Graham.