Re: Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:33:49 -0400
> For many, many years, I used nothing but Quaker State in all my
> cars -- Triumph and otherwise -- without problems. I guess I always
> figured that if it was good enough for Bob, Brian, Lanky and the
> other kids at Group 44, it might even be good enough for me.

I do not think good enough was a consideration, since the engine oil was
most likely changed multiple times per race event.  I think the biggest
reason they used Quaker State was... it was free (as they had QS
sponsorship).  Somewhere is a Kas quote (in his new book perhaps) that
addresses this very topic of what oil they used, and why, and the greatest
justification (freebie!).

Now that there are a few Shell gas stations around in the area, I have been
dying to try Shell Helix synthetic motor oil.  I figure if it is good enough
for Ferrari and Michael Schumacher, it must be good enough for me ;-)  Who
wants to use that Mobil1 junk, after you saw the world's coolest (Mercedes)
engine explosion this past weekend during the Bahrain GP.

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/2004/sakhir/diapo_379.jpg

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/2004/sakhir/diapo_377.jpg

Kai