Re: Oil

To: "INTERNET:ZoboHerald@aol.com" <ZoboHerald@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Oil
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:36:38 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i36GfdwY002123
Message text written by INTERNET:ZoboHerald@aol.com
>Bottom line: I wonder how much of a given "sludge" problem is due to oil
formulation and how much is due to neglect. I suspect that the latter was a
factor on the Country Squire back then; mom and dad were never quite as
diligent about oil changes as I (now) am!
<

A coworker of mine, about 20 years my senior so I listened to him and took
to heart the gems of wisdom emparted, once said that engines that ran
Pennsylvania based oils were quite clean on the moving parts (bearings,
etc.) but the more unoccupied recesses of an engine will accumulate sludge.

This is not a problem unless it blocks the return of oil to the sump as it
did in a 71 Chevie my dad once owned.  With about 100,000 miles his Impala
(350 cid) started to smoke and use oil at a rate of 700 miles per quart.
We thought this normal for a car with that many miles.  However, the valve
cover gaskets were leaking onto the exhaust manifold and the smoke and
smell prompted me to attempt to change them.  When I popped the covers
loose a slug of oil flowed out onto the manifolds.  Why? Because sludge had
accumulated to the point that it blocked the return lines to the sump.
After cleaning out the passages and replacing the gaskets the car returned
to no significant oil consumption and the tail pipe turned from black to
white.

Dave