RE: Clutch Fluid (DOT 5)

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Fluid (DOT 5)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:31:59 -0700
>   I forgot to mention something.  I plan to race the car in SCCA Solo II
> (Autocross) this year.  Will DOT5 perform as well as DOT 4?  This part
> of the question is more about brakes than the clutch.

Lots of debate on that point, Dale.  DOT 5 does outperform ordinary DOT 4,
but there are racing fluids that are better yet ... as long as you change
them every few months.

DOT 5 has another characteristic that many racers don't like ... if you
shake it up in the presence of air, you get lots of little tiny air bubbles
that can take a long time to settle out.  This means that if you need to do
some trackside repairs, and aren't careful about how you add fluif to the
reservoir, you can wind up bleeding air into the brakes instead of out of
them.  IMO this leads to some of the myths about DOT 5 causing a soft pedal.
It does compress very slightly more than DOT 4, but not enough to cause a
problem with a healthy system.  See
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Fluid/Fluid.htm
for more info.

Randall