RE: Clutch Fluid (DOT 5)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> i3BIMBwY002674
Subject: RE: Clutch Fluid (DOT 5)
From: "January Williams" <january@chemeketa.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:20:03 -0700
When I got my 4A the clutch slave was shot and so I had to rebuild it and the
masters before I could drive the car. I had decided to switch to DOT 5, which I
did for the brakes as well, just bleeding, bleeding, bleeding until I got most
of a quart through. Of course, since I did both ends of the clutch system,
everything was clear, I had blown out the clutch line with air. I was anxious
to drive the car, which we did, almost 5000 mi the first season.
The next winter I replaced all the brake hoses and rebuilt the 4 corners.
Inside the front calipers was what looked like salad dressing from the purple
lagoon, an emulsion of little gold speckles in the purple fluif, looked like
less than a quarter of the DOT4 remained . I don't remember the rears having
any DOT4 left in them.
The bleeders are meant to get air bubbles out, not as a path to flush, so I'm
not convinced you can get anything completely out by bleeding. Anyway it drove
fine, the brakes were always solid and straight. And after a total "renew" no
more golden DOT4. Some of you physical chemists may conjecture about the
compressibility / boil point of the emulsion and whether it poses a safety
threat. I can't speak to that, but it clearly worked for me. I'd say, go ahead,
switch by a good bleed down, but do the calipers soon as you can.
January
66 TR4A CTC74217LO