Wood Steering Wheel Quandary

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wood Steering Wheel Quandary
From: ScharfR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:03:08 EST
Greetings list:

I am considering adding a vintage-style wood-rimmed steering wheel to my TR4.
 The type I'm seeking has the wood rim sandwiched over an aluminum framework
with flush-fitted rivets holding the sandwich together.  As it appears, there
are a number of choices: Moto Lita, Le Carra, Mountney, Astrali, Nardi and,
I'm sure, others.  Here's the quandary.  In looking at a variety of web sites,
images and advertisements, I'm hard pressed to find a significant difference
among the alternatives -- apart from price.  In fact, I've found some
suggestion
that several of these brands may be made by the same source, although exactly
who makes which is not clear.

I'd be very interested in hearing from owners who have had experience with
any of these makes of steering wheel.  Any insights on comparative advantages,
quality, reasons to buy or not buy would all be helpful.

One more set of questions:  I'm thinking of a 14" wheel; flat, not dished.
Any additional insights and comments on the wisdom of these criteria (versus
different diameter and/or dished) would be welcome.  And of course, if anyone
has
such a wheel for sale, I'd welcome a private email.

Bob Sharp
64-ish TR4