RE: Wood Steering Wheel Quandary

To: <ScharfR@aol.com>, "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wood Steering Wheel Quandary
From: "David Hammond" <d_hammond@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:40:33 -0800 i2PHn08A023386
Bob,

        I'd be very interested in hearing from owners who have had
experience with
        any of these makes of steering wheel.  Any insights on comparative
advantages,
        quality, reasons to buy or not buy would all be helpful.

I have had a Moto-Lita wheel on my TR4 for over 10 years now and never had a
problem, except I neglected it and so the finish/varnish is discoloring or
flaking off a tiny bit, not sure which.  I switched from the stock plastic
with the chrome spokes because I had the right side and bottom plastic
molding that holds the wheel together to the spokes break at the same time,
which was very scary.  I had to turn the car by using just the hub ever so
slowly, but it was another British car experience story to relate over a
pint !

It is a pretty wheel and strong and well built.  I have no experience with
the other brands you mentioned.

        One more set of questions:  I'm thinking of a 14" wheel; flat, not
dished.
        Any additional insights and comments on the wisdom of these criteria
(versus
        different diameter and/or dished) would be welcome.  And of course,
if anyone has
        such a wheel for sale, I'd welcome a private email.

I would not go dished, the wheel would just be too close to me for my
liking.  The bigger diameter, the less space you have to squeeze your legs
under the wheel.  For fat guys or still expanding guys, this is not
enjoyable to have to squeeze underneath a wide diameter wheel.

David R. Hammond
62 TR4 #CT 17780LO
68 TR250 #CD 185LO