A Carburetor Question...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: A Carburetor Question...
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:32:01 -0600
After getting everything put back together (after replacing all the cork
seals, jets and needles), I have a slight problem with my SU H6 carburetors.
When the mixture setting is full lean (nut screwed all the way up), the
springs that maintain the jet position don't have enough tension to do so.
In other words, if I pull the choke cable to lower the jets, the springs
won't return them to their "return" position.

I realize that I won't be running it in this position, but I do know that
prior to taking the carburetors apart that the springs would return the jets
when the mixture was fully leaned.

When I loosen the nuts to richen the mixture, the situation improves a
little, but the jets definitely to not move up and down as easily as hey
once did.  I would presume a little "stickiness" with new seals, but I seem
to have somehow shortened the actual travel distance (does that make
since?).

I haven't had a chance to set the mixture on the carbs since getting it
running again last night (to many yard chores today).  Since the springs
will barely even stay on when the nut is adjusted full lean, I'm a little
concerned.

Any comments and/or reassurance would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4